By Johnny O. Trail — Esther is a small book found in the Old Testament that many have read throughout the millennia. It is interesting to note that the word for “God” is not found in this ten-chapter book. While God is not mentioned in the book of Esther, one finds him providentially working in the lives of his people.
The book of Esther and the lives of the people mentioned therein illustrate some powerful biblical principles. Some of them are:
- Esther demonstrates how the prideful reason about themselves.
- God providentially works in the lives of those who are his people—in Esther’s age and ours too.
- Obedience is necessary to effectuate the salvation of God’s people.
- Hatred and racism are age-old problems that all generations of people have had to face.
- The prideful will fail whereas the humble will find refuge and protection in God’s care.