by Mike Benson
The Watchtower Society makes some startling claims about Jesus.
Go to their official website and you will discover that they urge readers to “consider what the Bible really teaches about Jesus Christ,” and then informs them:
- He was God’s first creation and therefore had a beginning.
- He is not equal to God and “never even considered trying to be equal” to God.
It doesn’t take exceptional insight to see where this is going. Clearly, Jehovah Witness doctrine wants people to believe that Jesus is not deity.
Does the evidence of Scripture confirm this idea? Open your Bible and then study the following:
- Jesus is recognized as deity. He was to be called “Immanuel,” which means “God with us” (Matthew 1:23). When Thomas saw the resurrected Christ he said, “My Lord and My God” (John 20:28). Paul said explicitly, “For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily” (Colossians 2:9). As Stephen stood on the threshold of death, Luke records that he called on “God saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit” (Acts 7:59).
- Jesus possesses the attributes of deity. He knows all things (John 2:25; 6:64). He is all powerful (Isaiah 9:6; Hebrews 1:3). He is eternal (Micah 5:2).
- Jesus’ works are those of deity. He has power to forgive sins (Mark 2:5-7; Ephesians 1:7). He gives eternal life (John 10:28; 17:2). He will judge the world (John 5:22, 27). He controlled nature (Matthew 8:26).
- Jesus is worshipped as deity. He is worshipped by angels (Hebrews 1:6) as well as by man (Matthew 2:1, 2; 8:2; 9:18; 14:33; 18:26; 28:9, 17; John 9:38; Philippians 2:10), and yet only God is to receive such homage (Exodus 34:14; Matthew 4:10).
No, the Bible does not support Watchtower dogma. Jesus is deity; He is God.
“For unto us a Child if born, unto us a Son is given; and the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace” (Isaiah 9:6).