by Paula Harrington
Thousands of years ago, a wise writer once stated that nothing new was under the sun (Ecclesiastes 1:9-10).
The longer I live, the more I realize how true this is. What great comfort can be taken from knowing that what we deal with every day has already been conquered by another child of God.
Before you think you’re alone in your difficult moments, remember:
- The father of three who held fast to God when the rest of the world didn’t (Genesis 6).
- The man who didn’t know where he was going in life but trusted his God to get him there (Genesis 12).
- The child of God who doubted (Judges 6-8).
- The husband who knew how it felt to let his family and his God down (2 Samuel 11-12).
- A woman whose secret could have caused her demise (Esther 2:10).
- The one who suffered in a dark, lonely place for decisions he had made (Jonah 1:17 – 2:10).
- A lady who trusted a Savior she didn’t really know (Mark 5:25-34).
- The faithful follower whose brother was murdered (Acts 12:1-2).
- A parent who lost a precious child (Matthew 27, Mark 15, Luke 23, John 19).
- The woman so caught up in her stress she nearly missed what mattered most (Luke 10:41).
- The Christian who lost his social standing with his peers and, perhaps, was even disowned by his family. Don’t forget how he was hated, stalked, and suffered hardship and brutality from the hands of evil (2 Corinthians 11:24-28).
We like to think that our problems are unique but truthfully, they’re not. Someone else has walked in our shoes. Someone else has gone through what we’re facing.
Another soul has felt this grief but never lost faith, never turned their back, and never given up. They triumphed over death, divorce, shame, and guilt. They relied on faith and trusted their God and in doing so found love, forgiveness, comfort, and peace.
The Bible was written to show us what has been and what will be and in the midst of it, God allows us an insight into our own stories. Open the Word and hear a thousand voices, just like your own, shouting that they succeeded and you can, too. Let their victory be your inspiration.
Our future is God’s history. Hold on to your faith. We know how this story ends. Our God wins.