by Charles Box
The goal of every Christian must be to live a righteous, sober and godly life (Titus 2:11-12). One becomes a Christian by obeying from the heart the gospel of Christ. “But God be thanked, that; ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you. Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness” (Romans 6:17-18).
The gospel is the story of the death, burial and resurrection of Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-4). Those who obey the gospel (a) hear God’s word (Romans 10:11-18), (b) believe in Christ (John 20:30-31), (c) repent of sins (Luke 13:3), (d) confess faith in Christ (Matthew 10:32) and (e) submit to baptism in water (Acts 22:16). Following baptism is the Christian Life.
- The Christian life involves living by the Spirit. Christians must live a clean and godly life. Living by the Spirit means living a good life (Romans 8:13).
- The Christian life involves learning. It is impossible to be faithful in Christian Living without a study of God’s word. Through study Christians gain God’s approval (2 Timothy 2:15).
- The Christian life involves loving. The Christian life will involve pure and sincere love. It would be impossible to separate Christian Living from sincere love (1 Peter 1:22).
- The Christian life involves leaving. The old life must be left behind, as one becomes new in Christ. The Christian leaves the old to become humble, loving, kind, teachable and obedient in spirit (2 Corinthians 5:17).
- The Christian life involves looking. The Christian is ever looking for the appearing of the Lord, Jesus Christ (Titus 2:13). “Come Lord Jesus.”
As a Christian you must make your calling and election sure through Christian growth (2 Peter 1:5-9). If you are living, learning, loving, leaving, and looking, you will be prepared for eternity. “For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ” (2 Peter 1:11). If you are a Christian, LIVE a faithful Christian life (Revelation 2:10).
Charles Box works with the Walnut Street Church of Christ in Greenville, Alabama.
If you are living, learning, loving, leaving, and looking, you will be prepared for eternity.